By Brett Boettcher, NCA associate director of professional program strategy & management, serving students in the School of Professional Studies and master’s students in The Graduate School.
Welcome to Northwestern Career Advancement’s (NCA) international master’s student blog series. This series is designed to provide international master’s students with career information and strategies. Find our previous post here. We will add more posts during Fall Quarter 2016. This blog series is a collaboration between NCA and The International Office.
Today’s blog will orient and, in some cases, introduce international master’s students to NCA and its services and resources. We hope through this orientation that you will be informed on what is available to you and will be motivated to start or continue planning for your future beyond Northwestern. You will be introduced to NCA’s advising and counseling services, CareerCat, opportunities to engage employers, and career resources.
NCA provides comprehensive career services to graduate students including career support and coaching appointments customized to the needs of each student. International master’s students can schedule a one-on-one appointment with an NCA Career Adviser for assistance with:
- Job or Internship strategy and planning
- Resume and cover letter reviews
- Interviewing practice and strategy
- Networking support
- Advice on negotiating
In addition to the services provided by NCA’s career advisers, career counseling is also offered to support master’s students. Career Counselors assist students to:
- Explore options
- Make successful career decisions that fit your unique personality and professional goals
- Examine graduate (PhD) or professional (JD) school options
How to Schedule an Appointment with an NCA Adviser or Counselor
- All adviser/counselor appointments are scheduled in CareerCat; look for the “Schedule an Appointment” shortcut box on the right-hand side
- CareerCat will automatically select your Career Adviser/Counselor, but here is the NCA staff list
NCA also provides opportunities to engage employers, including:
- CareerCat, which is a database with jobs and internships exclusive to all levels of Northwestern students. This resource provides opportunities in a range of industries and experience levels.
- Career-themed programs and events, including our Career Fairs
- Information and networking sessions with employers
- On-campus interviewing opportunities
International Master’s students should also leverage career resources offered by NCA. Visit with an NCA Career Adviser or Counselor to discuss each resource’s value to your search. These resources include:
- GoinGlobal (H1B employer list)
- The Vault & Wetfeet (information on industries & employers)
- CQ Interactive (consulting case interview preparation)
NCA partners with other career services offices at Northwestern to provide comprehensive support to international master’s students. Be sure to visit careers services offices that align with your school or program, including McCormick’s Engineering Career Development office, Medill Career Services, and School of Communication’s EPICS.