With finals behind you and three weeks of break ahead of you, it’s likely you’ll have some downtime.
Our advice? Use your free time to prepare to land a summer opportunity at the UCS Winter Internship & Job Fair on January 9 in Norris — whether it be an internship, job or fellowship, volunteer service, research or travel. If that isn’t incentive enough, we’re offering our LinkedIn Photo Booth (free professional headshots) from 12:30-2:30 p.m. at the fair (first come, first-served) and the first 500 students to arrive at the fair will receive a free business card holder, thanks to Coca-Cola.
Here are 10 things you can do in the next month to make sure you’re ready for the big day:
1. Prepare your resume: Review and update your resume to tailor it to the type of position you are pursuing. Print multiple copies of your polished resume on resume paper.
2. Research the employers who will be attending the fair and potential opportunities. CareerCat, Hoovers, and Glassdoor can help guide your research!
3. Prioritize the employers based on your interests. Find a full list of employers in CareerCat > Events > Career Fairs.
4. Prepare and practice your Elevator Speech, a 30 second-1 minute pitch about yourself and your interest in the employer and/or specific opportunity. A successful elevator speech is brief and will answer two basic questions: Who are you? And why are you interested in this opportunity?
5. Practice responses to sample interview questions.
6. Develop questions for each employer/recruiter. Have the questions ready in a notebook or folder. Your questions should be thoughtful; the internship & job fair is not an opportunity to ask about things you can find on the employer’s website.
8. Organize your materials for the fair (folder, notebook, portfolio, etc.)
9. Plan to visit your career advisor during all-day UCS Express Advising to have your resume reviewed or your questions answered before the fair. Express Advising is Wednesday, January 8 and Friday, January 10, 10 a.m.-4 p.m. at UCS (620 Lincoln St.) and the UCS Express Advising Center in the Main Library, 2nd Floor, Core.
10. Mark your calendars for the “Preparing for the Career Fair” workshop, offered Wednesday, January 8 at 4 p.m. in 620 Lincoln.