With classes about to begin for Northwestern University students, the weather clearly changing to Autumn temps, and the buzz of activity around Evanston you know it’s time to get ready for Fall!
When you were growing up maybe your teacher sent a nice letter in the mail to you and your family about the School Supplies you needed to be ready for school. Can you picture going into a store with a crumpled up piece of paper (aka your list), grabbing a cart and fighting your way down the aisle that has 3 ring binders, lined paper, highlighters, pencils and pens? I sure can!
I’m here to offer an equivalent to this for Northwestern Students but more towards my world- your list of Back to School Career Supplies:
- At least 1 version of a well-written and Reviewed Resume by University Career Services (attend our walk-in hours to get the quickest service with this)
- 1 Updated CareerCat Profile (be sure to updated your GPA, contact information, major or graduation year if there have been changes)
- 1 Professional Looking Folder or Padfolio to be used for Interviewing
- 1 Package of Resume Paper (Yes, you need to print out your resume for career fairs and networking meetings)
- At least 1 Interview Appropriate Suit and Dress Shoes
- 1 List of Companies you’d like to work for within full-time or internship roles (refer to our Resources page for help researching companies)
- Well thought-out Cover Letters specifically targeted towards the positions/companies you’re applying to that you’ve found on CareerCat or other job/internship databases (UCS can help you review or develop cover letters)
- 50-100 Business Cards for Networking Events (You can make your own using Avery Products from an Office Supply Store or you can order some through Vista Print)
Hopefully, this list can help influence you to be ready for Fall, but know that the staff at UCS are here for you to help with preparing for the upcoming Career Fairs, On Campus Interviewing, Career Exploration, Job Search, Internship Search and more! Just call 847-491-3700 to schedule an appointment or join us for Walk-ins starting next week!